Monday, February 11, 2013

JUST DO IT!


The Nike slogan works just as well for writing as for putting on your running shoes! Every how-to-write book I have read says the same thing - at the end it all comes down to this -  if you ever want to get that darn book written, you have to sit down in your chair and write, write, write!  All that dreaming, wishing, planning and imagining will not write your book.

 The strategy that really works for me is the weekly word quota. When I'm ready to start my first draft (after I've allowed myself to dream, wish,  plan and imagine), I set a weekly word quota. It's not that big - 3000 words. That means if I write 600 words on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, I can achieve my quota and take the weekend off. Guilt free. Or if I can't write on Tuesday, no big deal. I can make it up on another day. Or I can take the whole week off and write like crazy on the weekend!

That's not usually what happens. I usually write more. For some weird reason, knowing I can stop at 600 words frees me to keep going. But I don't have to. It takes away a lot of the stress of a new book. And you'd be amazed how quickly 3000 words a week adds up to a book (average length of my novels 36000-40000 words).

If I write 5000 words one week, that's inspiring but I can't bank it for the next week (darn!) Each week starts fresh - 3000 words!

I printed a quote from one of my favourite writing books, The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell, onto a recipe card and I keep it taped to my computer.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE OBSESSIVE ABOUT ANYTHING IN THE WRITING BUSINESS, MAKE IT YOUR WORD QUOTA.

It works for me!

 
MY FAVOURITE KIDS BOOK OF THE WEEK:

The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larson

by Susin Nielson  (Winner of Governor General's Award!)

I'm a great Susin Nielson fan and this does not disappoint. Keeping a journal, the suggestion of his therapist, helps Henry deal with a tragedy in his life.   Henry is a really funny narrator and his story is sad and uplifting at the same time.

If you love it, be sure to try Dear George Clooney Please Marry My Mother and Word Nerd, also by Susin Nielson.

 
FUN FOR KIDS:

 What if . . . you were invisible? Where would you go? What would you do?
 
Next week: The Magic of Recipe Cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment